My Healthy Eating Habits

Eating habits is an essential part of the nutritional diet of a person. Eating habits refer to why and how people eat, which foods they eat, and with whom they eat, as well as the ways people obtain, store, use and discard food. Individual, social, cultural, religious, economic, environmental and political factors all influence peoples eating habits. (Advameg, Inc., 2009). Through our eating habits, we get all the necessary vitamins and nutrients that are needed in order for the body to function properly. Also, our eating habits may be the cause of some of our diseases. For example, we eat foods that are high in fat we tend to develop hypertension and heart diseases. Proper eating habits are important in a persons life to enjoy a healthy life.

    Currently, I have a very unhealthy diet and eating habits. I used to be in shape and practice a healthy lifestyle. However, after I had my daughter, I stop doing my exercise routines. My physical activity is walking from home to work or to anywhere else like to the grocery store. I use to say to my peers and colleagues who find me that I am not in good shape that I had baby weight due to pregnancy. However, my daughter is almost three years old, so that excuse is invalid anymore.

    I observed my eating habits for the week and list down what I ingest. For the week, I eat the same thing for breakfast. I eat fried eggs, turkey and fruits for breakfast. On a good day, I used to eat oatmeal with brown sugar for breakfast. A lot change in my lifestyle since I had a daughter and I am loaded of household work, rearing my child, gaining my education and a lot more. My lunch and dinner this week is compose of variety of unhealthy foods. My family and I ate at a DFAC at my camp. We do have a food court that is composed of Burger King, Popeyes, Subway, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell.

    I breakdown the components of the foods that I have taken this week that I have login in my food diary. I had four ounces of grains and 16 ounces of meat. I also had six cups of fruits. I had no servings of vegetables and milk. I do not actually drink milk. I never like the taste of milk in my palate. I chose three foods that I have taken in my food diary.

Burger King Spicy CHICKN CRISP SandwichRitz Snack Crackers Serving Size 5 crackersCrunchy Taco SupremeTotal calories per serving
45080200Percentage of calories from fat
304.5100Total amount of carbohydrates (in grams)
34g10g15gTotal amount of protein (in grams)
12g1g35gTotal amount of fiber (in grams)

As you can see, the foods above are rich in fats and calories and lack in essential vitamins and nutrients, which are essential part of a healthy diet. I really need to change and improve my eating habits and take more of healthy foods. I need to gradually change from my old ways. I need to take more fruits and vegetables that are high in vitamins and minerals. I also need to take more protein, fiber and water. Changing my diet will not only keep me in previous good shape but will also prevent the onset of diseases that may incur due to unhealthy eating habits.

    The calories supply the energy needs of the body. The calories serve as fuel of the body in order to function properly and adequately. Same with calories, carbohydrates is the sugar content of foods. Sugars are transformed into Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP) which is the energy needed in the body. The proteins are important to make the muscles stronger and leaner. With protein, we will be able to do work and activities properly.

    According to the customized food pyramid that I took and feed information of what I eat. The results suggested a variety of food intake in my diet. The pyramid emphasizes on what nutrients I lack and should take. The customized food pyramid highly suggests that I should a variety of vegetables and drink milk. Since, I am not a fan of milk, the food pyramid suggests that the calcium content of milk can be also obtained from cheese and yogurt, which are good substitutes since I eat these types of food.

    Since I feed the information that I am a meat-lover, eating servings of meat each day. The pyramid suggests that I should go for low fat and lean meat and poultry. Also, there should be a variation to the sources of protein like fish, beans and nuts. The pyramid also suggests that I should limit my sugars, oils and fats since most of the food that I have taken this week is fried and oily. Lastly, the pyramid suggests that I should get at least a 30-minute exercise for my everyday physical activity.

    After I have done the customized food pyramid, I came to realize that I have been dead wrong with my eating habits and there is an urgent need to implement new eating habits composing of food included in the suggestion of the customized food pyramid. I have been aware that eating big servings of dessert is bad for me and will increase my weight. It is the changing of the habits that become the hard part of the implementation of healthy eating habits (Alexander, 2006).

    First, it is important to set realistic goals and for yourself. Cut down on foods that is the unhealthy part of the diet. Do not say or promise that you will never eat dessert again for it is unfair and impossible. However, say that you will cut down your dessert and go for more healthy dessert like an ensemble of fruits or yogurt. The goals of a healthy eating are important in the whole implementation of the nutritional diet. From this viewpoint, I will cut down on the calories that I take by eating more vegetables. If I will go out and eat, I will try to order a more healthy meal than my usual meal.

    I will make a point and make some time to prepare a healthy and hearty meal for my family and will have take-out or ordered foods only once a week. This way, my family will also have their servings of the vitamins and minerals that are essential for the bodys functions. I will also train my daughter to eat healthy and prepare her healthy meals and snacks every day.

    I will include in my grocery list healthy food items and plan a week of healthy menu. I will buy healthy snacks and put limits on junk foods and other unhealthy foods. I will bring a healthy snack with me so that I will not have to go out and eat when I am hungry. Moreover, I will exchange the three of my bad eating habits with better ones.

    I will look for healthy recipes on books and on the internet to serve my family. I will try these new recipes to keep us in track of the healthy living and healthy eating habits. In addition of the healthy eating habits, I will get back on my exercise. I will allot time for my physical activity. I can also include in my physical activities the simple things like walking in the park or cleaning the house or running occasionally.

    I will keep a diary and log in the food I take every day so that I can monitor the food that I am taking and if I am getting adequate nutrition from it. This way, I can ensure myself that my family and I is living a healthy life.