I am a college student pursuing a degree in Economics. After this, I plan to take up a Doctoral degree in Economics at XXX University. I wanted to focus in the field of economics because I want to explore how a particular economy works and how it affects the lives of people. This interest was ignited when I went to Ghana, West Africa. For 2 months, I was a volunteer for the local orphanage. It was in this place that I witness first hand how deprivation to basic necessities such as food, water and shelter can significantly affect the way of living of many people. Because of the pervasive poverty in Ghana, I was further motivated to study the complexities of economics in order to come up with solutions that can eradicate poverty.
Moreover, I am particularly interested in studying world economy and the distribution of wealth. Because of this, I plan to become a research-oriented economist wherein I will concentrate on public finance, public policy, labor economics and political economy. Also, I want to contribute in building a more efficient and productive public policy for the equal distribution of wealth across the globe and to study public spending of the government.
In order to achieve this goal, I have taken up courses on Public Finance, Labor Economics, Advanced Mathematics and Advanced Statistics while I was in college. Also, I worked on Econometrics, Matrix Algebra, and Advanced Calculus. Through this, I was able to understand the flexibility and efficiency of public finance. To further enhance my knowledge and training in this field of study, I have joined in the Michigan Economics Society and Undergraduate Mathematics Club. I even served as a tutor in these prestigious academic organizations for a year to teach other students about microeconomics and macroeconomics. Aside from this, I also attended several informative seminars and presentations that have expanded my knowledge in economics and mathematics. With my incessant dedication in learning about economics and mathematics, I was included twice in the Deans list t at Pennsylvania State University in 2007.
Furthermore, my internship at KIEP (Korea Institute for International Economic Policy) helped me to discover how to perceive the real world through an economic perspective. I have worked alongside many prominent and experienced economists in South Korea in tackling the issue of FTA (Free Trade Agreement) with China. More so, I have also participated in several researches including The Strategy and Properties of Chinese Market (2008) and The Analysis of China-South Korea FTA Policy (2008). My main task in these two studies was collecting and organizing data. Overall, this internship facilitated my growth as an individual and as a professional. It also broadened my understanding of the processes involved in economics.
Through my hard work and commitment to learn, I was awarded as the Outstanding Mid-classman in Economics for the academic year 2007 to 2009. This achievement have further inspired me to improve the economies of nations particularly the underdeveloped and developing countries by reducing negative externalities and practicing an appropriate social insurance and tax system. In connection with this, I am very much looking forward in studying advanced public economics and conducting studies that are aimed in improving the tax system, providing efficient welfare programs and social insurances for various countries.
I believe that the faculty of the Department of Economics at XXX University is very experienced and research-oriented who can train me in becoming a knowledgeable and proficient economist. I chose this particular academic institution because it offers graduate programs in economics that are ranked in the top ten all over the United States. Given the opportunity to attend in this university, I would like to work under the tutelage Dr. Laura, Dr. Rhodes, Dr. Yoon and Dr. Poss so that I can learn from the best. Moreover, I believe that am prepared and well-equipped to take on the challenges of taking a doctorate degree and succeeding in the field of Public Finance. If I will be given the chance to take up the Doctoral program at XXX University starting this Fall 2010, it would be a great opportunity for me to prove my competencies and express my passion .