Personal Statement A Response and Review on Dan Browns The Da Vinci Code

I am aware of the fact that Dan Browns The Da Vinci Code has several negative reviews and criticisms from conservatives, especially from the Catholic Church. However, despite this fact and all the issues that have sprung from this volume, I still believe Brown made an excellent job in this piece of literature.

I decided to read The Da Vinci Code even before people began talking about it. At first, I thought it was just some plain revelation of the artist, Da Vincis styles, genres and personal life. I knew the book would be very puzzling and interesting however, what I did not expect was for it to be so provocative and spiritually challenging, in the sense that it displaced great questions to my spiritual beliefs. I was not able to finish reading the book in one sitting however, between breaks, ever pieces revelation that come out from it really made me think whether or not the beliefs I have hold the truth. It posted several question in my mind about Christs individuality and his human side. I believe these are the main reasons why people became so agitated and distraught after reading it. Seldom do authors manifest bravery when it comes to questioning one of the greatest and largest belief humankind ever had. And seldom do authors really debunk beliefs and teachings from the Catholic Church. This book is what made Brown stood among all the authors of his generation. Brown took the chance and exploited his own imagination, cunning, wit and above all else, his courage to challenge one of the most consecrated beliefs of the world.

The book was especially marked by the challenge it posts upon the readers spiritual strength. Because of all the revelations it says about Christs human side   which are all fictitious as what the author claims   it is understandable that people easily get swayed and tend to question whether or not all those revelations are true, considering all the proofs and seemingly coincidental events and phenomena that contribute to strengthening the authors claims. Aside from several seemingly factual proofs, Browns arguments and claims also appeared very believable because of how it coincided with several historic events and phenomena, which easily made people think that Brown might really have credible basis for his claims. Because of this, this work has also provoke lots of negative and even violent reactions from conservatives and strict Catholics. Seldom does the world encounter such a strong reaction from readers, especially from the Catholic Community. This is also one aspect which made this work by Dan Brown something which stands out from all the other works of fiction. The author himself continuously claims that every event and situation in his work are pure works of fiction, except for Da Vincis masterpieces that were also featured in the book. However, although the author kept insisting this, doubt and questions kept springing from peoples minds, since Browns writing ability was also on a top notch quality. Every word appeared very strong and implicative which easily made people believe that the author knows and understands every claim and argument he is making.

Personally, I liked this book a lot and it has honestly made me inspired. I liked it because it made me think. I knew in myself that my spiritual beliefs are strong however, because of Browns writing and imaginative prowess, this book got me thinking at some points. Aside from this, this book also inspired me in the sense that, I realized how advantageous it is for a person to really have a strong faith on his or her spirituality. From the beginning, I knew everything in this book is pure work of fiction. But in at some point I also considered the possibility that these revelations might have some considerable root from the authors personal experience or knowledge. These are the main reasons why I basically liked this work. Also, these are the main bases that made me consider Dan Brown a genius and one of the worlds most brave, cunning and intelligent writers.